Jo's Reviews > Unclean Spirits

Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover

bookshelves: urban-fantasy

When I picked up this book, I had no idea what I was getting into. The blurb looked interesting -- a college student inheriting her uncle's "business" of fighting supernatural creatures -- if a little over-dramatic.

Wow. After reading the book, I can say with all honesty that the blurb is so not over-dramatic.

Jayne Heller is, indeed, a college student. At least, she used to be. Now, she's a college drop-out with no family, no friends, and a secret desire to get back with her ex-boyfriend. She's got a world of baggage and backstory. And despite all that, or perhaps because of it, she's immediately likeable, relateable, and all-round fabulous as the leading lady in an urban fantasy world.

And what a world!

One of the great things about this book is the world-building. Yes, we've all seen vampires and werewolves and demons. (In some cases, we've seen far too much of them.) But not like this. Here, in the world of the Black Sun's Daughter, supernatural creatures aren't natural at all. They are humans who have been taken over by a supernatural 'rider' -- a spiritual parasite -- that has come through from "Next Door". The motives of these Riders are unclear, but one thing is certain: they aren't in the best interests of humanity.

Jayne has to deal with learning about this hidden world, avenging her Uncle's death, discovering her own power and strength, and moving on from her ex-boyfriend. She is helped along by a supporting case of allies, each of which is interesting and engaging in his own right. And the story unfolds beautifully -- never too much or too little world-building, never too much or too little background.

In fact, the only criticism of the book would be that Jayne developed a crush on the wrong guy. But then, that just gives me a reason to pick up the next book in the series and cross my fingers that she figures it out.

I can't wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unclean Spirits.

July 14, 2012 – Started Reading