Katie's Reviews > The Wicked and the Just

The Wicked and the Just by J. Anderson Coats

Jul 14, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction

** spoiler alert ** This one was a difficult one for me. I rarely get through books with unlikable characters or unfair situations. They're my two weaknesses in reading. I almost always end up gnashing my teeth and throwing the book aside in frustration. With a protagonist like Cecily and a subject like the English subjugation of the Welsh, I would have thrown this book so hard J. Anderson Coats would have felt it. Not so.

The Wicked and the Just is exceedingly well-written. It's unflinching and brutal but it was also honest and a gift. I kept reading not only because I love history and couldn't wait for the Welsh to rise up and give their English oppressors hell, but also because I needed to see a change in Cecily. And I believed it when it came because Coats gave both Cecily and Gwenhwyfar depth. They had flaws and merits. They have values, though they don't always live up to them. Especially Cecily. She could be downright heinous. I was glad to see her downfall at first but all pleasure vanished when I saw Gwenhwyfar going to that same dark place when the power was in her hands. Just when I was pleading, "Enough already!" the two girls felt the same. There's no happy ending with vows of friendship. Just two young women who want nothing more to do with pain and suffering, either on the giving or receiving end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wicked and the Just.

July 14, 2012 – Started Reading