Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Gabriel's Bride

Gabriel's Bride by Samantha James

This is a wonderful book, with the following caveat: Gabriel is a very cruel hero. He is a bitter man. So full of anger at his father that he often uses Cassie as a verbal punching bag. His father is after him to marry, so he picks a bride that he is absolutely sure will aggravate his father. Cassie is a poor, overworked tavern maid that he finds on the docks in America. He thinks she isn't virtuous, but it turns out that she is. He doesn't make her over or clean her up, but delivers her to his father in the condition he finds her. Then he abandons her.

At first, his father is pretty mean to Cassie. But Cassie's wonderful and kind heart wins his regard. He is also impressed with her determination to better herself by reading and learning how to be a wife of a noblemen. When Gabriel comes back, he realized what a gem he's married.

This is one of those books that I loved for the heroine, and for the beauty of the storytelling. Gabriel could use a hard knock upside his head with a shovel. That what I use as code for an uber-alpha hero who needs to be taken down a peg. The sensuality is steaming, although it seems whenever Gabriel makes love with his wife, he is driven by angry passion and rarely by tenderness. Gabriel does everything he can to drive his wife away, and finally he succeeds. It is then that realizes how much she means to him and goes to get her back. The ending of this book is so poignant that it is another reason I love it so much. I definitely recommend this book if you can handle a hero with a serious chip on his shoulder who has a tendency to be mean to the heroine. If so, it's worth reading, and I consider it a keeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Bride.

04/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Mae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mae So glad you liked this book! It is definitely a keeper. I really love hero's who as you said, "could use a hard knock upside his head with a shovel"!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) This was a really good book. So emotional. I like to reread my favorite parts of it. Emmanuelle, definitely check this out.

LOL, HMS. :)

message 3: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Wow! If you like to reread favorite parts of this book, I know it must be very good Danielle. This was a terrific review and I am adding it to my TBR mountain.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review, Danielle. :-)

Lynsey A Great review, Danielle, as always. You've made me want to add this to my shelf! I'm going to look for this one. Definitely my kind of read and I love poignant moments.

message 6: by Rane (new)

Rane Wonderful Review Danielle!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, ladies. I warned you about Gabriel! He's not a nice guy.

message 8: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 He does redeem himself...doesn't he Danielle? I mean we will end up wanting him to get back together with Cassie...I hope!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Jan 14, 2010 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Yeah, he does redeem himself pretty well (close to the end), Ally. I think you should read it, but don't look for a hero that you will adore. I think it ends pretty well where the knucklehead finally gets a clue. There's a really good scene with his father near the end that was the clencher for me to love this book.

message 10: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Good! I see I can get it from Amazon so I am going to do it. I am looking forward to reading it!

message 11: by Shel (new) - added it

Shel I'm glad you loved it, I also love it. I just re-read it a couple of months ago and it's definitely a keeper for me. I love a lot of books by Samantha James

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Shel, I have been collecting Ms. James' recent books, since I loved this one so much, and enjoyed a couple of others by her. Too many books!

Ally do let me know what you think when you read it.

Lynsey A I'm going to check out the ubs this weekend to see if I can find it. Looking forward to reading this one. I believe this will be my first read by Samantha James.

message 14: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I have a couple of Samantha James in my TBR I see but not this one. I should give her a try soon.

message 15: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Shel, I have been collecting Ms. James' recent books, since I loved this one so much, and enjoyed a couple of others by her. Too many books!

Ally do let me know what you think when you read it."

Thanks Danielle...I would really like to get to it sooner rather than later. It sounds like the kind of writing I like!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Despite the knucklehead hero (or maybe because), this is the best book I've read by her so far. It was so emotionally-affecting to me.