Adam's Reviews > The Manuscript Found in Saragossa

The Manuscript Found in Saragossa by Jan Potocki

Nov 03, 2008

bookshelves: horror-disguised-as-literature, surrealism-dada-classics

Am I allowed to fully love a book I have never finished? A twisting gothic story cycle of tales within tales(and then within tales again) Kind of an updating of 1001 arabian nights and Dante's Divine Comedy(or the Decameron or Canterbery tales)for the age of reason(?!)Filled with ghoulish horror and lots of duels, weird intrigue, kabbalah, ghosts, hidden treasures, and lots of stories. If you are a fan of Milorad Pavic's Dictionary of the Khazars, Isak Dinesen's Seven Gothic Tales, Robert Irwin's Arabian Nightmare, Calvino, Borges, Pamuk's Black Book, John Barth's Sotweed Factor, and Edward Whittemore you owe yourself a trip into this dark tangle of a novel, now I should get around to finishing it. Potocki is interesting also. One of the first aeronauts and also for killing himself with a silver bullet

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Manuscript Found in Saragossa.

Finished Reading
November 3, 2008 – Shelved
November 3, 2008 – Shelved as: horror-disguised-as-literature
November 3, 2008 – Shelved as: surrealism-dada-classics

message 1: by Ubik (new) - added it

Ubik So I take it this is pretty easy to read? Your review is definitely intriguing so Im going to put this on my list. So was this the book that the film Saragossa Manuscript was based?

Adam Not so easy to read but worth getting lost in, some people are disappointed with the ending(which I never reached) and I have heard that Potocki actually never really finished it... And yes it is the book that the movie is based on(which I've also never finished but like). The director of that movie did an adaptation of Bruno Shultz's Sanatorium under the sign of the hourglass that is impossible to find.

message 3: by Ubik (new) - added it

Ubik I also tried watching the film and gave up after a while. It was really entertaining but at the same time incredible boring. Im not sure if you felt the same way, but after a few attempts I just sent it back. I probably wont be taking this book on anytime soon, but I did mark it to-read so eventually I will get to it. Write back here what you thought of the whole thing when youre done.

Parf sot-weed factor was a pile of shit. this is head and shoulders above anything that drivel had to offer.