Rachel Churcher's Reviews > Darkness, Be My Friend

Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden

This review is also available on my blog, Unsupervised in a Bookstore .

Book Four in the Tomorrow series continues the story of seventeen-year-old Ellie and her friends as they strike back against a foreign invasion of Australia. This time they have help from the New Zealand army, but they quickly learn that their new friends can't guarantee their success, or their safety.

I adore the Tomorrow series. I love Ellie's narration. I love the characters, and the setting. I love the relationships between the school-friends-turned-fighters, and the way they develop through each book. I love the bravery of the teenagers, and their creativity in standing up to the people who have invaded their country, their town, and their homes.

Hiding out in the bush and launching guerrilla attacks is the only way for Ellie and her team to resist the invasion, but sneaking into their heavily guarded town, even under the cover of darkness, is far from safe. Darkness, Be My Friend brings the group into increasingly dangerous situations, with revelations about the state of the town, the strategic importance of the airfield, and the fates of their families. Expect heart-stopping scenes, real danger, and adrenaline-pumping excitement as the teenager's daring plans meet the reality of strangers in their homes, and enemy soldiers on the streets.

There are obvious parallels between these books and my own Battle Ground Series, but I only started reading the Tomorrow series after my books had been written. I love reading John Marsden's take on teenagers as reluctant fighters, and the characters' practical approach to making a difference against the invading forces. There are three more books in the series, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to binge-read them all now, or save them so that I don't have to say goodbye to Ellie too soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness, Be My Friend.

Started Reading