Jo's Reviews > Hunted by the Others

Hunted by the Others by Jess Haines

bookshelves: urban-fantasy

There are very few ideas that are “original” (whatever that means) in this novel. Most of it has been done before. Often more than once. But I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen it done so well.

Shiarra Waynest is a PI who wouldn’t normally wouldn’t accept a job from an Other (vampires, werewolves, mages, etc). But when she’s offered a job by a Mage from The Circle, an incredibly influential magical group, she doesn’t feel like she has a choice. Without a large influx of cash, she’s going to lose her PI business. The job is to get close enough to Alec Royce, an ages-old vampire, that she can steal a powerful artifact from him. But that is the simplest part of the paranormal mess that she finds herself involved in, which includes being threatened by White Hats (the anti-Other organisation) and being forced to confront and work with her lying, ex-boyfriend werewolf.

Shiarra is an absolutely fabulous protagonist. More than that, she’s a true hero. She has absolutely no way to compete physically or mentally with the Others that she comes into contact with, and she spends the majority of the book terrified that she’s in too deep, and someone is going to eat her. But she does what’s right, even when she’s scared. She isn’t one of those two-dimensional heroes who takes everything in her stride and never breaks a sweat. But she’s not whiney or pathetic, either. She is absolutely awesome.

And, for a change, Alec Royce (the vampire) is executed brilliantly. He really is mysterious, sexy, dark, dangerous, and Byronic. He’s both seductive and scary – an amazing combination. But he wasn’t even the most interesting Other in the book. My favourite was Arnold: a cute, D&D geek Mage who joins forces with Shiarra and gives her a few magic items to help her defeat the antagonist.

I picked up Hunted by the Others in the morning and finished it by that night. I couldn’t put it down. Seriously. I had to go grocery shopping, and I literally walked through the supermarket with the book in my hand, reading as I went. I walked home the same way. Take a shower? No way – I’d have to stop reading. I ran a bath instead. Cook dinner for the family? How about we order pizza.

Hunted by the Others is everything an urban fantasy book should be, and more. I can’t wait to sink my teeth into the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunted by the Others.