Daniel's Reviews > Fox in Socks

M 50x66
Nov 02, 2008

Read in November, 2008

Title: Fox in Socks
Author: Dr. Seuss, Dr. Seuss (Illustrator)
Publisher: Random House Children's Books, 61 pp, 1965
Format: Early Reader (Beginning reader)
Audience: Children, ages 4 to 7
Description: Dr. Seuss’s Fox in Socks will leave your tongue twisted if you don’t heed the warning on the very first page. “Take it slowly. This book is dangerous.” Join Box Know as he is left tongue twisted by Fox Socks.

Personal Review: After reading this early reader beginning book, my tongue was left literally tongue twisted and numb. Even reading very slowly I found myself struggling to get through the entire story. I found myself to be just as frustrated as Mr. Knox but the story was entertaining and the rhyming was very well written. This early reader book is designed for children ages 4 to 8 years and has elements of rhyming and repetition. The Fox does a great job of mixing up and changing around sentences that will leave you confused. This book is intended to be read out loud and real slowly. I strongly suggest that this guideline be followed when reading this book. I find that the length and challenge of the tongue twisting will be formidable even for the higher reading level children. It does a good job of blending sounds together with the rhyming but it can be difficult to comprehend the text when you get tongue twisted.

Citation of two critical sources:
Kirkus’s review calls this early reader beginning book a collection of tongue twisters that is an amusing exercise for beginning readers. This review was effective in that it demonstrated how some of the lines in the book will leave you tongue twisted.
Amazon.com’s editorial review calls this early reader beginning book one of Dr. Seuss’s best, a must read aloud classic. This review also heavily quoted examples of how the Fox will get your tongue in trouble. This review could have done better by explaining how this early reader book helps children in the beginning reading stage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fox in Socks.