Michelle's Reviews > The Truth About Us

The Truth About Us by Dalene Flannigan

1906369

bookshelves: abuse, freebie, kindle, light-read, quick-read, sexual-assualt, chiclit, own, addiction, child-abuse, fiction, mental-health, suicide

Wow. I didn't expect any of this from this book. This meaning the depth of emotion, the way this book touched me, even when I didn't want it to or didn't expect it to. What was I expecting? A quick lighthearted story to pass some time between a few things I've been wanting to read. Surprise, surprise, this freebie had some depth!

Perhaps it was the age of the three women, but I really felt connected to them on a personal level. It was as if I could see a little bit of myself in each of them. Although Grace is a lot edgier than I am at this stage of adulthood, I "got" her. I understood who she is and how she got there. Grace and I could have been friends. Erica isn't really anything like me, but I could see her life and my life with a lot of similarities. I couldn't quite grasp her acceptance of or her taking responsibility for her husband, but at the same time, I could seem me justifying things the same way. How else do you take control of the situation if you do not take responsibility? Then there is Jude. Oh Jude. At one point I think Jude and I walked the same walk, stalked the same circles, lived the same destructive existence. I don't agree with, but man, have I seen so many take that destruction and dive headlong into Jesus in the same scary manner. I understand why Jude and people do what they do, I just can't grasp the hypocrisy of it.

The Truth about Us is a mystery, kind of. We get to see the journey. We know what and why from the get go but the story lets us experience the situation with the women. I like how each woman gets a voice and chance to tell her side. I must give Dalene Flannigan credit for giving me an ending I did not see coming. I mean, some of it was obvious, but some of it was breathtaking. All in all, great book. I can't wait to read more of Ms. Flannigan's work.

My favorite quotes:

Why can some people court death and survive while others are careful, do all the right things ans still a piano falls on the them?

"Choices are made in the moment, in context," she said.
But context was like physical pain from the past, you could describe it as excruciating but you couldn't feel it again--no physical pain memory, only a description distorted by time.

One choice leads to another, each choice a step into the center of somewhere you never intended to go.

Fault wasn't only at the end of a line but distributed all along, point to point, person to person; an accumulation of small, guilty contributions.

I could have forced the other girls to join me in the spotlight, to put our legs in the stirrups and be thoroughly, publicly examined. and I could have prayed that following the postmortem tallying of accountability versus damage that he would have been sent to jail for what? One yea? Two? Five? Ten?

Not all secrets are sins in need of forgiveness. But secrets are central to a person's being. They are who we are. The truth of us can be found in our secrets.

She realized she was the queen of consolation, the 'it's okay' girl. Why had she never realized that before? When was the last time someone had patted her back and told her everything was okay. when had she ever let anyone?

A secret is never locked away tight, it pushes outward. It's the thing to be avoided, the creaky stair when you're trying to be quiet, the crack in the sidewalk. Avoidance is hard work and it takes its toll and leaves its mark.

...there wasn't any way to erase the past, that starting from the beginning wasn't possible when you were already in the middle, but she thought they could possibly start free.

"She carried her sorrows bravely, until they became too heavy..."

...the last straw, the tipping point, after effects, side effects, butterfly effects of a moment.--how we can't know the reach of our choices because it takes time for them to accumulate and travel. Only later, once we're far away and looking back, can we see the distance covered, like land carved by time and water.

Does one truth cancel out the other? Do ugly details change the bottom line?

We can never know the whole of anything. There is no static truth. I'll never know the reach of responsibility I bear or the repercussions still to surface.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Us.

July 13, 2012 – Shelved
April 2, 2013 – Shelved as: sexual-assualt
April 2, 2013 –
April 3, 2013 –
April 4, 2013 –
56.0% "not as quick of a read as I was expecting. It's probably more me being slow than the book though."
Started Reading