Sadie Forsythe's Reviews > Mars on the Rise

Mars on the Rise by Rae Gee

Jul 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: a2r-done

3.5 really. I love what Mars on the Rise is trying to do. (view spoiler) is pretty classic stuff. Gee's description of the environment is such that the reader is easily able to imagine it. The characters of Cedo and Billy are fairly well rounded, though Cedo does seem so innocent that you wonder how he even survived at all. Erus' character isn't as clear, but since the story is predominantly from Cedo's point of view and he is confused by Erus' personality too, this isn't really problematic. The writing is crisp and clear. It seems to have a storyteller feel to it. Which matches the main character really well.

The problem is that the reader never sees why Cedo follows and falls in love with Erus. (view spoiler) If you've ever read any Yaoi manga you see the same thing. In a 25 page short you have to accept that there isn't time to establish everything, but in a 300ish page book it is fair to expect more. The reader also always wonders why Cedo stays. There is a fairly predictable pattern, (view spoiler)

This is the first in a series and I see real potential for the continuation of the series. The last few chapters really redeemed the book in my mind. (view spoiler) I think a lot of the story's maudlin nature will fall away, leaving a strong adventure plot behind. Certainly Gee has the writing skills to pull it off and I look forward to reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mars on the Rise.

July 13, 2012 – Started Reading