Dan Clarke's Reviews > Naamah's Blessing

Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey

Jul 13, 2012

liked it
Read from July 13 to 16, 2012

As usual, Carey's worldbuilding and stunning descriptions captured me - and if they haven't, this book would have lost at least one star.

The thing I loved about the Kushiel's Legacy series - all six books - was that while magic was present, it wasn't (as it is so often in fantasy novels) the crutch upon which the protagonists leaned when things got too hard. In fact, it was often the thing they had to use their wits to fight against, a tool used by the antagonists in ways impossible to simply counter.

This trilogy has not been that way. Every problem Moirin solves is solved by magic, or by someone else, especially the men in her life. For a series that had such a strong female heroine in Phedre, Moirin just does not stack up. I was really disappointed in her, and in the less-than-gripping Bao.

I loved the imagery around Terra Nova, though (as I pointed out to Victoria, who recommended this entire series to me) I don't understand the logic behind sailing directly to Mexico rather than following the currents to the more-logical destinations along the east coast of the (current) United States and Canada; I was under the impression that was where the natural ocean current would bring you from Spain. I think perhaps it was because writing about ancient indigenous cultures that no longer exist is a lot less controversial than ones that do - which is fair, but still hard to wrap my head around.

I love Carey's worldbuilding, her magic system, her gods and her characters (for the most part), but this trilogy was disappointing when placed beside her previous trips to Terre d'Ange. If you don't have the stomach for nine books, I would leave these ones aside and focus on Kushiel's Dart and its sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naamah's Blessing.

07/13/2012
07/13/2012
11.0% "I wish this was Phedre and Joscelin, but other than that I'm enjoying it well enough. Feels good to be back in Terre d'Ange."