Tracy Miller's Reviews > Jersey Angel

Jersey Angel by Beth Ann Bauman

liked it
bookshelves: ya, ya-realistic-fiction, 2012

I picked this up when I heard that Angel was the somewhat rare phenomenon of a sex-positive teenage female protagonist. And she was. Probably a little too positive for my taste as the mother of teenage girls. But, this wasn't a book about the way I wish the world was, it's a book about how the world is. And there are lots of girls out there with self-absorbed mothers, little supervision and guidance, and no life goals whatsoever. And many of them like to have sex - sometimes with their best friend's boyfriend--and do not experience any consequences whatsoever.

Anyway.

I think this was a very realistic book - very slice-of-life - which means not a lot happened. It was well-written but I prefer to read things with stronger plots. I did like the somewhat nontraditional romance between Angel and her old boyfriend. I like to think they'll end up together.

I appreciated the pathos of the storyline of the pregnant friend, but found it to be the most unrealistic part of the story. It damaged the book's credibility a bit for that to be the outcome of the pregnancy, particularly Angel's role at the hospital.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jersey Angel.

Started Reading