Charlotte Bird's Reviews > Fifty Shades Freed

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

Jul 13, 2012

did not like it

The author certainly raised the bar with this book; unfortunately it was only in terms of idiocy. They've known each other 3 months by this point, and they're married! I kid you not. Then she gets pregnant and he runs off screaming that he doesn't want kids, but then he comes back the next day totally ok with it so panic over. The sleazy manager gets bailed by a richo with a grudge, but it's ok because Ana shoots him in the knee and everyone comes to rescue her. Utter tosh. E L James basically just googled 'wish fulfilment for women' and made a story out of the results. A bloke who's amazing at sex; check. A virtual Greek god that all the other women drool over, but who only wants you; check. A very rich man who buys you cars and macbooks and clothes (in spite of your very modern pro-feminist protests of course); check. Falling by chance into your dream job without any work experience; check. Your best friend married to your husband's brother therefore making you sisters; check. And of course, the ultimate in female wish fulfilment; taming the quintessential bad boy and being the only one to have done so. All three books are basically just ticking all these boxes, and describing actually rather samey sex scenes, and the storyline is just a way of getting from one ticked box to another. A total waste of my time, other than giving me something to have a good moan about and allowing me to say 'yes, what rubbish' when people ask if I've read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Freed.