Amaris (amarisafloria)'s Reviews > In Five Years

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle

Rating: 3.5 stars

Two things I wish I was aware of before reading:

1) In terms of genre, In Five Years leans more toward women's fiction than romance.
2) It's not a time-travel novel. Dannie doesn't spend any more time in the "future" outside of that one night.

By describing this book as "women's fiction," I just mean it's a fictional story, written by a woman, about women and issues that women go through. I'm not saying that men cannot read this book—it's just a very general term I'm using to contrast the romance genre, which is more focused on how a romantic relationship develops. In women's fiction, there is generally a bigger focus on other things outside of romance (but that's not to say there is no romance in women's fiction.) ANYWAY, this is not a discussion on women's fiction vs. romance lol.

I guess you can see the difficulties in distinguishing between the two genres, which is something that affected my enjoyment of this book. Even after listening to the first 10%, I was thinking, "ooh, it's going to be a love story where Dannie will have to decide if she's really happy staying with her fiancé because of the dream she had!" And it is, to a certain extent, but it's not the focus.

I've been really conflicted because how I feel and how I should feel doesn't match up. It's an emotional story, which means everything in my heart is supposed to be wrung out. But I kinda felt ... cheated? Like I wasn't introduced properly to what the story would be, even after getting past the first third. It's like I made a plan to visit the beach and I ended up at a ski resort. Both are places I love, but I didn't prepare to go snowboarding! I think it just seems like In Five Years was two different stories combined together to make one, and it negatively affected my experience and appreciation. I liked how everything came together, but I would've loved this book so much more if it built up the theme of friendship from the beginning.

SPOILERS:
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Five Years.

October 1, 2020 – Started Reading
October 5, 2020 – Finished Reading
December 1, 2020 – Shelved
December 1, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-releases
December 1, 2020 – Shelved as: read-in-2020
December 1, 2020 – Shelved as: adult-fiction
December 1, 2020 – Shelved as: contemporary-with-a-twist
December 1, 2020 – Shelved as: listened-on-audio

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Thyra omg. totally felt the same.