Andrea's Reviews > The Afterlife of Holly Chase

The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand

bookshelves: fantasy, m-f-romance

This sounded like the perfect read right before Christmas.

“Everyone started sniffling at that point. Everyone, that is, except me. I never did the crying thing. It would have ruined my makeup.”

Holly Chase is a selfish, pampered, and all around awful teenager. One Christmas Eve she is visited by 3 ghosts, who try to show her how awful she is and that there's time to fix the way she treats people. But like it's been mentioned, the girl is a nightmare, so she does not learn to become a better person. Then.. she dies. When she wakes up, she finds herself spending her afterlife at Project Scrooge. Every year, they pick one person, learn all about them, and come Christmas Eve they approach this person and try to teach them to be a better person.

This sounded kind of wacky honestly, but that's what drew me to it. You can say one thing for sure, there's no other book that sounds like this. I loved this twist on a classic tale. I liked the parallels it had to the original story, but still being a new and updated version too.

“But love doesn’t always have to be about the happy ending. Love can be about beginnings, too.”

I also liked the fact that Holly was so unlikable. I love reading about unlikable characters! She requires a lot of patience, and a lot of the things she did aggravated me to no end. But I still found myself rooting for her. Then we have Ethan, he's the new Scrooge of the year which obviously means he's a bad person. Throughout the story you see the best and worst parts of him, so the story really challenged me to decide whether I liked the guy or not.

The ending was also amazing! I did not see it coming at all. Overall, this was a fun and entertaining read. Kind of perfect for this time of year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Afterlife of Holly Chase.

December 1, 2020 – Shelved