Rebekah Kuschmider's Reviews > If I Had Your Face

If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha

"If I Had Your Face" by Frances Cha is captivating. Simply captivating.

I don't know much about South Korea or Korean culture so this story was an education for me. The women in this book are all trying to navigate a world where there is no set path for success. They're limited by the old-world family status rules that still loom over society. Being poor, being an orphan, being the child of servants is a nearly insurmountable obstacle for them. Education, beauty, and talent don't exempt them from social rules meant to maintain the privilege of the elite classes.

The four women in the story connect as childhood friends, roommates, and neighbors. They all have different careers - a hairstylist, a sex worker, an office worker, an artist. Their pasts range from tragic to sordid and their futures are unknowable. They must work unimaginably hard to get by. But all of them find moments of joy and friendship with one another.

I loved all these characters and felt deeply invested in their success. The world they live in isn't fair. The ending of the book didn't feel like the end of their stories and I can almost imagine them out there, still living outside the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Had Your Face.

December 1, 2020 – Shelved