Fili's Reviews > August: Osage County

August by Tracy Letts

Jul 12, 2012

bookshelves: plays

As I read this play, I constantly felt like I'd read it before -- a little Tennessee Williams (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), a little Edward Albee (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)... two of my favorite plays of all time, and I admire the tribute, and I think the writing is clear and witty and terrific, and I'd love to see it performed on stage, but a Pulitzer? It was a bit predictable. HERE COME THE SPOILERS: I knew Steve was going to go for Jean. I knew Little Charles was going to be Beverly's child. I knew Johnna was going to be the hero, she's the only one who could have any redeeming quality since she's not blood related to the Westons. And of course she had to be Indian, though she could've been Japanese or black or Mexican or any other minority. I thought Ivy was going to be gay. Beverly's suicide didn't seem properly set up. Once the surprises started coming... and kept on coming, it eventually became a bit too much and bordered on contrived. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I loved this play, but I just don't think a Pulitzer should go to a predictable imitation. And even as I type that, I betray my opinion because I did enjoy the read so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read August.

July 12, 2012 – Started Reading