John's Reviews > The Mongoliad: Book One

The Mongoliad by Neal Stephenson

Jul 12, 2012

bookshelves: neal-stephenson

If "Reamde" was Stephenson's "most accessible book" -- which I took to mean that his editors demanded he write a "popular" book -- then "Mongoliad" returns to Stephenson's usual manner of writing books that are challenging for the reader. To put it mildly.

If "Anathem" was intellectually challenging in its intellectual exploration of multiverses, then "Mongoliad" is challenging in its gut-wrenching, emotional depictions of the world in which it takes place.

This world would be eastern Europe, on the boundary of the Mongol invasions under Ghengis Khan, during the late 1200's.

Through highly vivid descriptions of the ravaged peoples who have (thus far) survived the Mongol invasions we meet an ambiguous young woman who may herself be Mongol, and who joins up with a band of Knights -- not Christian Knights, but Knights who practice much more ancient belief and knowledge systems than the upstart Christianity.

A parallel plot takes us within the Mongol empire itself, where we see the world of the 1200's from an opposite direction.

About 40% through. Loving every minute of "Mongoliad".

****

Finished "Mongoliad" (book one) last night. Wow. Certainly this book sets up for the next in the series, which is fine, but the second book isn't out for at least a month, which is less fine :-/

This dilemma then begs the question as to whether one waits, or pays for a membership at http://mongoliad.com/ and keeps reading, now. The membership is $50.00, "lifetime".

Anyway, "Mongoliad" is excellent, and I can't wait to continue, one way or another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mongoliad.

July 12, 2012 – Started Reading
July 12, 2012 – Shelved
August 2, 2012 – Finished Reading
April 23, 2015 – Shelved as: neal-stephenson

Heather Great review - nice synopsis/comparison of Anathem and Reamde. And ditto - can't wait for book three. For some reason I thought it was already out and when I went to download it was dismayed to find I couldn't continue the saga that very night.