Megan Baxter's Reviews > Midnight Riot

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch

5742086
Jul 12, 2012

Too. Much. Fun.

But not too much. Just the right amount of fun. Ladies and gentleman, if you're looking for a relatively light read, with overtones of the theatre and English puppetry, and undertones of feuding rivers and power struggles, all sifted through the eyes of a police constable who has just discovered that magic is real, and he's been chosen to police it, then this is the book for you!

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Riot.

Quotes Megan Liked

Ben Aaronovitch
“The Metropolitan Police Service is still, despite what people think, a working-class organisation and as such rejects totally the notion of an officer class. That is why every newly minted constable, regardless of their educational background, has to spend a two-year probationary period as an ordinary plod on the streets. This is because nothing builds character like being abused, spat at and vomited by members of the public.”
Ben Aaronovitch, Midnight Riot

July 12, 2012 – Shelved
August 5, 2012 – Started Reading
August 7, 2012 –
0.0% "I rarely both to do these updates, but when a book makes me laugh out loud as much as this one did, it must be recorded. In this case, it's when Peter's been given a tranquilizer dart by a doctor and a card to give to the paramedics in case he accidentally injects himself that says: "Warning: I have been stupid enough to stick myself with etorphine hydrochloride....""
August 9, 2012 – Finished Reading

Melki I loved the repartee between Peter and Leslie, and the ghost stuff - the river gods stuff - not so much.

message 2: by Megan (last edited Aug 09, 2012 05:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Baxter I quite liked the river gods stuff, but I think I'm in the minority.

message 3: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes A fun review of what sounds like a fun book

Megan Baxter Thanks, Will. It was thoroughly fun. I was glad for the break from heavier tomes for a bit.

Carol. Nice review! Glad you liked it--I love this series and am always glad to find another fan. Aaronovich has the drollest asides.

Megan Baxter I really did. I haven't picked up the second one yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington Megan wrote: "I quite liked the river gods stuff, but I think I'm in the minority."

I liked it too. I also liked this review! Nice one!

An Odd1 "squicked .. little book babies" If the book makes me smile half as much as your review, I'm in.

Megan Baxter I hope it will! It certainly did make me happy!

Otherwyrld This is another one of my favourite series at the moment, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I read book 4 just a few weeks ago.

You might want to try Benedict Jacka if you liked this book - he writes about magical London as well. So does Mike Carey, but his Felix Castor books are a good deal darker than this story

message 11: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Megan, I absolutely adore audiobooks. I started out only listening to books I'd already read and liked. But it didn't take too long for me to start listening to books that were new to me as well. I don't know what I'd do without audiobooks now.

message 12: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle Fantastic review I've got this ready to go on my Kindle once I've finished the Mira Grant kick I've been on :D

Megan Baxter I think you will enjoy it, Elle!

I'm still in the early stages of the audiobook listening, Kim. I'll let you know if it changes! :D

message 14: by Sadie (new) - rated it 1 star

Sadie Don't - it is ridiculous!!