Charlie George's Reviews > Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans

Nov 01, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in May, 2009

There is a huge amount of exposition in volume 3. As a result, it is the thickest one, but long on dialogue and short on action.

As usual, the highlights are very high indeed, but they're fewer and further between. They include:

Cassidy waking up on the autopsy table and Starr blowing him to bits (again) as well as hiring Frankie to torture him. The non-english-speaking Grail squad hit on Tulip and Jesse. Jesse busting some more heads and telling Frankie one word: "miss". The Saint cutting down the bulk of the Grail's Masada combat troops. And finally, Cassidy's back-story.

The only thing I liked about the lengthy exposition at Masada was Herr Starr and Allfather D'Aronique trying to outwit and out-maneuver one another. Physically, D'Aronique is a dumb character, but damn did they make him a smart, worthy adversary for Starr in his ascension to control the Grail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher, Volume 3.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Robert This was the high point of the series for me. I really should try and focus more on how satisfying this volume was, versus the disappointments in later ones.

Charlie George Heh. I noticed your ratings of the later volumes crashed and burned. I don't remember thinking any less of them than the early volumes, but nothing about my memory has been correct so far, so I shouldn't expect my memory to be any more accurate here. I'll keep my goodreading friends posted!

Charlie George AHA! I've found a dud: see my review for Volume 6.

However, I remember distinctly liking Volume 7, and will be sorely disappointed if it turns out this bad, or anything close.