Chris's Reviews > The Black Stallion

The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

Nov 01, 2008

bookshelves: childrens, horse-fiction

It's no surprise that this book has stood the test of time, no surprise at all. Even without the movie and its beautiful images of horse and boy on the desert island, this book stands out in ways that other teen mets horse books don't. The possible exception to this My Friend Flicka (Black Beauty is about a horse, not a boy and his horse). Perhaps this is because both books have the horse be a horse. In other words, the Black Stallion is always a stallion. He doesn't get magically gelded and then ungelded.

That seems part of his greatness in this series; for at no point does Farley ever condsend to his young readers. He presents the world where the rules don't magically change; Alex only finds a way to work with them or around them. Yes, perhaps the book is part wish fulfillment, but it is also a non-Gary Stu wish fullment.

There is such passion and love for horses in this series, but in a non-romantized way. A child could do far worse than starting this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Stallion.

11/13/2016 marked as: read

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I hate to burst your bubble, but The Black Stallion was published in 1941. Ruffian the filly died in 1975. A sad day.

Chris Thanks.

Wanda I can't count how many times I read this book as a child. I must re-read it one of these days. Thanks for the memories!