Mackenzie's Reviews > Whispers Under Ground

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Jul 12, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Recommended for: urban fantasy fans, Harry Potter fans

Probably my favorite of the three Peter Grant books by Ben Aaronovitch so far. Definitely one of my favorite books of the year. Mostly because there's plenty of Nightingale appearances here, and also because Peter has become a lot smarter. (His new friends are very exciting as well - particularly Kumar the BTP officer and Zach Palmer.)

And is it just or is Aaronovitch is just a massive fanboy? There were references to Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Doctor Who, Dungeons and Dragons, and plenty of other things. It also made me happy that the second chapter was named 'Baker Street', the name Sherlock Holmes cropped up a few times, and the cover actually contained the names of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's creation. It even covered one of my current interests: modern art. Perfect.

As usual, the mystery was slow-burning, the investigation carried out in the proper 'policing manner'. Aaronovitch's humor becomes witter, but also subtler in that the jokes don't make me laugh outright but instead it makes me grin throughout the book (at one point, I was also hiding myself behind it because I was afraid people would think I was a loon.) And once more, the author came up with many quotable lines and paragraphs.

An anglophile would've been crazy not to read the Peter Grant series because this book has a very distinct 'British' voice. Some words, I didn't even understand when I read for the first time and had to look up on the Internet. Like the previous books, Whispers Under Ground is yet another scenic installment of the Peter Grant saga - the geography of the story is laid out very carefully and, I'd like to think, realistically. For get your A-to-Z - one could probably do a tour of London using these books as a guide.

(I do believe, however, the entire sewer scene would not help with the tourism. And I may have been entirely turned off from taking the tube.)

There are still so many things to say about this - I haven't even gushed about Nightingale yet, or complained about the typos and missing punctuation marks in my copies - but so far this is all I've got for Goodreads. A more complete review may come later (or not). But whether or not that happens, Aaronovitch's third novel in the Peter Grant series is not a disappointment.

Now, when is the fourth one coming out again?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers Under Ground.