Rosieposie's Reviews > The Kingmakers

Jul 12, 2012

Read from September 06 to 08, 2012

Synopsis from Amazon:
A war to the death.
Empress Adele has launched a grand crusade against the vampire clans of the north. Prince Gareth, the vampire lord of Scotland, serves the Equatorian cause, fighting in the bloody trenches of France in his guise as the dashing Greyfriar. But the human armies are pinned down, battered by harsh weather and merciless attacks from vampire packs.

To even the odds, Adele unleashes the power of her geomancy, a fear- some weapon capable of slaughtering vampires in vast numbers. However, the power she expends threatens her own life even as she questions the morality of such a weapon.
As the war turns ever bloodier and Adele is threatened by betrayal, Gareth faces a terrible choice. Their only hope is a desperate strike against the lord of the vampire clans—Gareth's brother, Cesare. It is a gamble that could win the war or signal the final days of the Greyfriar.
The Vampire Empire trilogy rushes to a heart-wrenching conclusion of honor and love, hatred and vengeance, sacrifice and loss.

You cannot imagine the overwhelming grief I felt as I neared the end of this remarkable trilogy. You may find that statement a bit overdramatic, but I assure you it is made with the utmost sincerity. This book , from beginning to end, captivated me with its relentless energy. The pace never faltered and the reader was given a heavy dose of nonstop action, political intrigue, and plenty of plotting. And the romance between the Greyfriar and Empress Adele is a tale worth telling over and over. In fact, I am hoping that their tale has not yet ended and that another book will appear sometime in the near future. Would this be selfish of me to ask of the authors, I wonder? I can only imagine the intense labor that this extremely talented couple had to endure while writing these three books. But from their writing, I also recognize a deep fondness for their beloved characters. This reader is very much hoping that this love for their characters will be the trigger that will inspire them to write another brilliant story in this unique and dangerous world. I suppose the reader can use their imagination to carry on the adventure. We may even see numerous fanfics born from this trilogy. But let's face it, no one can weave a tale as satisfying as Clay and Susan Griffith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingmakers.

09/06/2012 page 150
40.0% "Great alternate history, Steampunk WWI adventure at it's best. Loving this so far!"
09/07/2012 page 253
67.0% "I want my own Greyfriar."