Meggan's Reviews > Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History

Breasts by Florence   Williams

Jul 12, 2012

Read on July 08, 2012

It's shocking how little we know about breasts and breastmilk, and I had no idea we knew so little until I read this book. It had a lot more about environmental toxins than I would have expected, but it's a very worthwhile read - it's not scandalous or sexy, but informative and easy to get through.

I thought the author was a little more "OMG THERE ARE THINGS IN MY BREASTMILK, IT'S PROBABLY TERRIBLE FOR MY BABY" than she needed to be; I am totally biased on the subject but she sometimes made it sound as though breastfeeding was harming children. (Yes, it seems like toxins can pass into your breastmilk, but I'd wager that the cumulative benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the risks and, either way, it's still better than the alternative.)

I do wish there was more discussion about bras and the ridiculous sizing, but alas. Perhaps there is a different book about this somewhere.

If you have boobs (or, hell, even if you don't) - check this out! I feel a lot more informed about toxins in our environment and how that affects breast health (for women and men).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breasts.

04/09/2017 marked as: read