Emily's Reviews > God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World--and Why Their Differences Matter

God Is Not One by Stephen R. Prothero

Jul 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: adult-non-fiction

I must confess, I didn't read this book in it's entirety. I mainly focused on the chapters devoted to Islam, Christianity, and Judaism. As with any text of this sort, it's difficult for me, as a Christian believer, to read unbiasedly. So there were many discrepancies within the chapter on Christianity that I didn't agree with. Perhaps he was generalizing the Christian faith, in which case he might be entirely right. However, it was when Prothero compared religions that really threw me. The idea for the book is that these eight major religions do not worship the same god and the whole notion of "all paths lead to one" is nonsense. I agree. I'm sure it was easier to compare religions as a means to understand, but this is where he got the Christian faith wrong...or at least the faith that I'm familiar with.

In any case, I'm sure it's an adequate overview of the major religions, but I'd like to discuss this with people of different beliefs. If I have qualms about the information presented concerning my faith, I imagine others might have similar issues. Maybe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is Not One.

July 12, 2012 – Started Reading