Jennifer King's Reviews > Shine Shine Shine

Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

Jul 12, 2012

Read from July 27 to 29, 2012

The story begins with Sunny's unsunny life -- her husband Maxon has just launched with NASA into space with his precious robots, her mother is surviving in the ICU on life support, her son copes with life on different terms, and her pregnancy seems sure to become an early delivery after a car accident. But the worst happens for Sunny when, in the car accident, her wig flies off and lands in a mud puddle. In that revealing moment, her whole world sees that she is truly different, hairless, bald and covering it up.

Through the story, we journey with Sunny as she comes to terms with her differences, with her societal world, with her mother, and with Maxon. It is the story of coming back to one's true self after wandering far to become someone we're not. It is the heartachingly beautiful story of coming back together with the ones we love. SHINE SHINE SHINE is a powerful story that I deeply loved, and is one I will not soon forget.

A wonderful debut by Lydia Netzer! I give SHINE SHINE SHINE my highest recommendation. A must-read for 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine Shine Shine.

Jennifer King From its hairless protagonist, Sunny, to her Nobel Prize-winning rocket scientist husband, SHINE SHINE SHINE is truly an original.