Kristi's Reviews > Cracked Up to Be

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers

Oct 31, 2008

bookshelves: books-i-own, signed-books, favorites
Read in November, 2008

This book was everything that I hoped it was going to be and then some. And I wish that I was a good writer so that I could write a review worthy of this book. Why can’t I just say that I loved it and that it was one of the most compelling books I’ve ever read and that just be enough? Because really I don’t know why I like any book, I just do. But if I must, I guess I will.

The writing. If I hadn’t known that this was Summers’ debut novel, I wouldn’t have believed it. One of my most favorite books of all time is Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and this book parallels it’s greatness, it may even surpass it. Yeah it’s that good. I hope to be reading Summers in the future, she is an author to watch.

I don’t want to get into the plot so much, because I want everyone to go in without any predispositions, well at least I don’t personally want to give anything away, I’m sure if you do some digging you can find some things out, but believe me, you don’t want to. I will say this much, I thought I had it figured out and I was wrong wrong wrong, and that is usually not the case. I found this somewhere and I don’t remember where, but it totally sums this book up: “A frightening and sobering look at the cruelty and viciousness that pervade much of contemporary high school life, as real as today's headlines.” Yeah I really wish I had written that myself. This book does not have a sugary coating. Which only makes me like it even more.

And the characters, particularly perfect Parker Fadley, make this book an UNFORGETTABLE read.

Would I recommend it, absolutely. Have I already been recommending it, you better believe it.

Who knew it was so hard to be perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked Up to Be.

11/17/2008 page 1
05/15/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Little LOVE this book. Great, great writing.

message 2: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy I will second that review! I had the opportunity to read this book recently and simply found the story riveting. Summers draws you into Parker's world and all you can think is what happened, what happened, what happened, so you keep turning the pages until you know and you won't be disappointed when you learn.

Sarah Woodard I really wanted to read this book, after your review... I want to read it more.

Little Sarah, you HAVE to read this!

message 5: by RR2 (new) - rated it 4 stars

RR2 I read an excerpt on the author's website and LOVED it. I preordered it. :)

Sarah Woodard I plan to buy it, I need to go read that excerpt.

Ashley I didn't know that this was her debut book. Of course the beginning lacked some interest and excitement but her newer books start off better.