Josiah's Reviews > Rhythm of War

Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: fantasy, best-of-2020

I think that Sanderson may be lying about what kind of book this is.

This isn't really epic fantasy as much as it is a character drama with the veneer of epic fantasy laid over it.

And what an awesome character drama this is.

Between the quest of one young man to make something for himself and get out from under the shadow of his father's reputation, the continued fight of a soldier against ongoing depression combined with his recent PTSD, the regretful contemplations of a woman burdened by her past mistakes, and the struggle of a spy with multiple personality disorder, there's a host of complex character journeys going on in this book.

And it's absolutely amazing.

Of course, by the time we get to the end of the book, we do certainly have those great epic fantasy moments that we've come to expect from the genre. But this book isn't about those moments as much as it is about these characters facing their demons, dealing with their issues, and learning how to embrace the truth even in difficult situations.

And as it does so, it reminds me again why this is my favorite modern fantasy series.

This book may not hit the heights of Words of Radiance or Oathbringer for me, but it is still stellar work. And that final plot twist? What an absolute jaw-dropper, and one I did not expect to see happening in Book 4 of this series.

I will conclude with a brief note that if you are unfamiliar with the Cosmere or with Sanderson's other works, you probably want to catch up on the universe all of Sanderson's books are set in before reading this book. While you can probably understand it well enough without that, Sanderson's really beginning to embrace the in-universe connections in this book, and you'll be benefited by having read Mistborn along with Warbreaker.

As of now, though, I am eagerly awaiting the release of Book 5.

Rating: 4.5 Stars (Excellent).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rhythm of War.

November 26, 2020 – Started Reading
November 26, 2020 – Shelved
December 13, 2020 –
page 547
December 29, 2020 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2020 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 31, 2020 – Shelved as: best-of-2020

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by CC (new) - added it

CC Wonderful review, Josiah! Thank you!!