Mary's Reviews > Buried Secrets

Buried Secrets by Brandi Salazar

Jul 11, 2012

bookshelves: free-kindle, self-pub

I truly enjoy reading books by new (or at least new to me) authors. This has been one of the benefits of joining Goodreads.

Buried Secrets is about James, a young man who moves back to the town his family left several years earlier when his crush, Mercy, had been killed. Other young girls start to die and James has to help figure out who is killing them.

The story was enjoyable but a little predictable. Pretty early on, I was sure that I knew how the story would end and I would have liked to have been surprised. I think this could have been accomplished by tightening up the story in a few spots. (There were just a couple of scenes where it became very obvious what was going on. With slight adjustments, it could have added to the suspense.) Also, I didn't think Jennifer's reactions were always consistent with the attitude of a teenage girl (very few will go out on a limb and risk being embarrassed in front of their friends.) Lastly, I'm not 100% sure but I think James and his family moved into Mercy's old house when they moved back into town. This seemed a little off to me.

I do have to give credit to the author. This is a YA novel without any of the standard plot points that seem to be in every story right now - instalove, vampires/zombies/werewolves/fairies, etc. Thank you for writing something original!

There were a few proofreading issues - "I she", "ridged" instead of rigid. And, the word "recant" was used improperly. But, overall these didn't detract from the story and were minimal based on my experience with other self published novels.

Overall, it was a book that I enjoyed and I would recommend it to someone looking for a different, yet easy read in the YA world. 3.5 / 5 stars (rounded to 4 on Goodreads because I appreciated the originality.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buried Secrets.

July 11, 2012 – Shelved