RoseMary Griffith's Reviews > Escape from the Deep: A True Story of Courage and Survival During World War II

Escape from the Deep by Alex Kershaw

Submarine stories are difficult for me to read--their bravery in going down into the depths where I have no courage to go is overwhelming. And that's how this book is--difficult. You know going into it how many men die in the sinking of the Tang, so you are braced for what is coming. This sub was amazing! (If you have been fortunate to tour the Bowfin sub at Pearl Harbor, the Tang is in the same class. It helped me with visualizing.

One thing I love about reading Mr. Kershaw's books is that although there is a large cast, he describes the men so clearly that you track them the entire way through the book. Although the survivors (their ascent from 180 feet down is heart-pounding) are captured by the Japanese and suffer in POWs camps, this book does not focus on that. The focus is on their bravery as the sub sinks, their escape, and their return home.

I wept and reading it was worth every tear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape from the Deep.

November 24, 2020 – Started Reading