Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»'s Reviews > Poison Princess

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

UPDATE!!

***I would like to thank Kresley Cole and her assistant Brooke Meyer for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review! :D***

Poison Princess is unlike any book that I have ever read. It is Kresley Cole’s debut into the YA world - and I must admit, she entered it with a mind blowing BOOM! In fact, Ms. Cole took the entire post-apocalyptic idea to a whole new level! From the end of the world, to the dark twist on Tarot cards to the intriguing characters - Poison Princess had it all. A spellbinding mix of gripping adventure, knuckle-biting action, mystery and scorching romance - Poison Princess will simply knock you off your feet!

The best way to describe this book would be: mind numbing. Kresley Cole’s brilliant creation of a dark and twisted world had me flying through the pages just so I could get to the final outcome. The story starts with a very alluring scene, in the present, of Evangeline (Evie) seeking shelter at Arthur’s home, whom we don’t know anything about. From there readers are transported back in time, through Evie’s flashbacks, to the very start - before the apocalypse, until reaching the "present" scene once again. The present-past-present concept was simply fascinating and brilliantly crafted - it never failed to bring me to the very edge of my seat.

The best aspects of this book were the prose and the idea of the characters. Ms. Cole has a very unique ability of balancing everything out when the moment required. Where the story itself was full of dark elements, Ms. Cole put in enough light moments - whether it was through humor or romantic interactions, to keep the story interesting. But what’s even more unique are the characters. They are manifestations of tarot cards! There’s Death, the Magician, the Empress, the Fool, the Moon and many more. I was so amazed by this idea - how Ms. Cole used such a simple thing as tarot cards and turned them into something rare, something original! It was a whole new experience for me, one that I won’t be forgetting any time soon.

Evie, the heroine, is one badass girl! I actually didn’t like her at first. She was a rich, spoiled brat who got on my nerves, but when the world ends, out comes a whole new side to Evie. At this point, I was experiencing my very first girl crush! :D Evie changed from a prissy girl into a tough girl - an Arcana. She put on her fighting armor, and was ready to face any and all dangers coming her way. It was a lot of fun to see Evie grow as a character. I loved her!

Then we have Jackson....HOT DAMN CAJUN! I don’t know where to begin with him. He’s rugged, charming, smoldering and just mouth watering. A pure bad-boy! What girl on earth doesn’t like those??? But what I drooled over the most was, Jackson’s protectiveness when it came to Evie. When the world goes to hell, and Evie believes she’s all alone, it was Jack who rescued her and put her back on her feet and ever since then, he has been by her side. Their chemistry was electrifying and to die for. So yes, I’m a little star struck....or love struck or lust struck...whatever...I just want to be in Evie’s place! Period.

Another one of my favourite characters was Death....one of the evil Major Arcana. I loved Death’s introduction as the villain of the book. He was everything you would imagine evil to be: terrifying, darkness, seductive and bone chilling terror. If Death doesn’t give you goosebumps, I don’t know what will. Death’s interactions with Evie through epic visions, were beyond amazing. Every scene he was in, showed the future world in calamity - which got my heart beat racing, and sent shivers down my spine. He is a fantastic villain, and I can’t wait to see more of him in the next book!

Creatively dark and highly seductive, Poison Princess is a tale of a twisted world that will have you appropriately terrified, full of angst and completely captivated long after you have turned the last page. With twists around every corner, and an ending that will leave you speechless, Poison Princess will leave you pleading and desiring for more! A definite must read for all YA fans!

My Rating: 5 OF 5 HEARTS!!! (In Love) :D

This review is also posted at: Literary Love Affair

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Princess.

08/30/2012 "Just got my ARC of this today.....and am literally jumping on the couch, cause I'm so excited to start it! YAY! :D" 3 comments
08/31/2012 page 133
35.0% "This book is really intense.....but the concept is just simply mind blowing! Evie reminds me of Poison Ivy from Batman! LOL ;p"

Monika How is Jack? *winks*

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Oh man....this guy is HOT!!! Black hair, accent, and green eyes....YUM!!! *drooling*

Monika Haha! yummi. :)

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Oh and if you like the sound of this you should also try the Watchers series! I just did my review for Blood Fever and I think you would really enjoy it! :D

Monika Thanks for the suggestion, Maida. :)

message 7: by Sana (new)

Sana Eep, I so cannot wait to read this! Looking forward to your review of it =D

Montana G. This sounds so good! I'm buying it Tuesday :) Can't wait to see your review!

Stormy /i need to read this. Obviously.

message 10: by Arang (new) - added it

Arang yay! I'm excited to read this tonight :)

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Just bought this one, can't wait!!!

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Erin wrote: "Just bought this one, can't wait!!!"

I think you will really enjoy it! :D It was very different from "normal" post-apocolyptic books.

Caitlyn Totally understand where you're coming from. Took a little to get into, but once I was in I was HOOKED!!!!!!!