Andrea's Reviews > Crave

Crave by Tracy Wolff

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal, pn-vampires, shape-shifters, m-f-romance

I won't sit here and tell you this is the best book of the year. I won't tell you it's the most original or has the best writing. But you know what, it kept me really fucking entertained. And isn't that what a book is supposed to do?
There’s not much to be afraid of when you’ve already lost everything that matters.

This story follows Grace, a high school student who moves to Alaska after her parents die in a car accident. She goes to live with her Uncle Finn, the principal of the prestigious Katmere Academy, and her cousin Macy, her new roommate.  As soon as Grace arrives to her new home, she knows something is off about the place. Different cliques seem to be at war with each other, everyone keeps starring at her, and everyone seems to be in on the secret except for her.
There are no such thing as monsters, just people who do monstrous things.

While moving into her new dorm, Grace meets Jaxon Vega, the most mysterious and broody boy on campus it seems. I actually really liked him, I've never been a huge fan of the broody character (Team Spike over here) but there was something about Jaxon that worked. He was cool, but he also showed just a bit of vulnerability that made me appreciate him more. Our main character Grace was fun. I will never judge teenage characters too hard. They're teenagers! They're allowed to be annoying and dumb. And Grace definitely had her moments, but at the end of the day, I really admired her.
Jaxon was never meant to be the hero of my story... because I was always meant to be the hero of his.

I really enjoyed all the side characters as well. Macy was adorable. I loved her. Then there's Flint, a maybe potential love interest? Would this even be a paranormal romance without a love triangle? I love that we got more than the usual vampires and werewolves. In this world there are witches, wizards and dragons.

This book was a monster. It's about 600 pages, I can see that being a con for some people. This wasn't very fast-paced or action-packed, but it was never boring. It had a very steady pace, and fans of a slow-burn romance and character driven stories could enjoy this more. For me personally, the characters and small mysteries kept me very entertained.

There is a pretty big cliffhanger at the end and I'm just very thankful I can go on to book 2 right away!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crave.

November 24, 2020 – Started Reading