Thomas Winship's Reviews > Revamp

Revamp by Beck Sherman

6872033

I read Beck Sherman’s “Revamp” in one shot. Yup, the whole damn thing. That’s how I roll when a book’s worth it.

And this book was worth it.

The first fifty or sixty pages of the novel were some of the best I’ve ever read. Period. The airport scene is amazing. It kicks a$$ in so many ways I’m tempted to plagiarize it. Seriously. I’m not going to spoil it, but it ends with this masterpiece:

Pure literary genius. Two of my favorite lines of all time.

Overall, Sherman takes a somewhat tired subject—vampires (and, yes, I do see the irony in that statement)—and breathes life into the undead. Yet, she doesn’t forget all that came before her. I imagined shadows of Stephen King’s “The Night Flier” and del Toro’s “The Strain” in the airport scene. The whole thing resonates with a post-apocalyptic, zombie-esque, vibe and the group Emma joined reminded me of John Connor’s Resistance.

But there’s much more there than just a hodgepodge of influences. Sherman’s characters are realistic, her world is vivid, and her story is infectious—and not in any way that causes you to seek treatment afterwards.

Beck Sherman is a force to reckon with. “Revamp” is a must-read for fans of horror, vampires, zombies, and post-apocalyptic fiction. Genre writers should also check it out to get a refresher course in how it’s done. Just sayin’ …

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revamp.

July 11, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
August 26, 2012 –
page 53
"Wow! The airport scene was amazing.\n \n "I was drugged, I was hungry, I was angry, I had just committed my first murder, and I was covered in other people’s bodily fluids. California was not at all what I expected."\n \n Two of my favorite line of all time."
August 26, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Kayla Curry Wow! I'm impressed! The whole thing in one shot?

Thomas Winship Sometimes you have to answer the call of the wild! LOL

Kayla Curry I had a feeling you'd like Revamp. I'm about 14% into Vaempires: Revolution btw! love it so far!

Thomas Winship Thank you!

Daniel O'Donnell I also loved revamp AND your review. I don't know how you read it in one shot, but your review was so well written... I am going to pick up your book when my new kindle turns up!

Thomas Winship Thank you, Daniel.