~Tina~'s Reviews > Walking Disaster

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Jul 11, 2012

bookshelves: cover-crazz, arc, e-book, netgalley-edelweiss, contemporary, new-adult, read-2012
Read from December 08 to 09, 2012

After I read Beautiful Disaster I was very conflicted. On one hand I really enjoyed the story and finally got what all the fuss was about, but on the other hand, a big part of me just couldn't stand Abby. I mean she had her moments and all, but I like my characters fighting for what they have and Abby just seemed to always be giving up or running away. But! I did however fall for Travis Maddox. Ah yes, the very complicated and inner workings of Travis and his wicked wicked ways. I couldn't wait to get my hands on his point of view and to be able to finally get into the mind of this Walking Disaster.

Walking Disaster is basically a play by play of the first book but through different eyes. Travis Maddox is a man who lost someone when he was very young and never really got his heart back because of it. He lost apart of himself that day and he grew up to be this hard-shell of a man who likes to have his share of good-times, women and fighting just comes the easiest to him. But one day he would find his pigeon among the vultures, someone who wont go down easy. Someone who's worth fighting for or being destroyed by, if happily ever after is the price at the end. We all know that Travis found his Pigeon but it was a real treat being about to hear it and see it through his words.

For the most part, I liked this book more then the first, but at the same time it does kinda give off the same vibe as Beautiful Disaster.
The only downfall to this book would be the fact that it amplified my hatred for Abby. I was pissed with a lot of the things she pulled in Beautiful Disaster with all the runnin' and the pushin' but since it was in her point of views I got to see it her way and even though I didn't always agree, I understood. But there is always two sides to every coin and my gawd, to see what those actions did to Travis just killed me. To witness complete raw desperation, need to the point of pain and want to the point of madness was both terrifying and beautiful. Travis isn't like most guys. He wears his heart on his sleeve, but only for one women and that's just something that you can't help but love.

I also liked the fact that we got to know Shepley, his dad and his brothers a little bit more. I liked what they brought in the first book so it was nice to see them more involved.
I'm also a huge epilogue hog and love love love that McGuire gave us a glimpse of what happens to Travis and Abby afterwards. I'm not gonna spoil it since this is the first time it's been written, but I will say that it was the perfect ending to their disastrous story;-)

All in all, I really enjoyed this experience. Fans of Beautiful Disaster should have no worries with this one. Readers who are like me and liked Travis a little more then Abby should find this entertaining as well. I do think Beautiful Disaster should be read first to appreciate what this book as to offer and I still believe this series isn't for everyone, but I for one am glad that I had the chance to read Walking Disaster. Travis is a complicated and complex man who doesn't always do or say the right things but the way he loves is profound, powerful and crazy. This was definitely quite the experience and very much worth the read.

(Arc provided by Edelweiss and Atria Books)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Disaster.

Jenn April 16, 2013 is the e-book release date. You can pre-order it on Amazon and B&N as of today.

~Tina~ Awesome! Thanks Jenn:)

Jenn I caught it on FB this morning and thought I def needed to share. lol
I totally did the preorder. :o)

~Tina~ Aww, what a beautiful story. It's sad that she didn't end up with her Travis, but at least she got him in the end with her book:) Thanks for sharing!

Jenn It was sad at the end. :( I'm glad trav and pidge got a HEA too. But it is pretty sweet that book was based off something real. :)

Jenn Here's the prologue's link: http://issuu.com/atriabooks/docs/walk...

~Tina~ Started it yesterday and so far it's a toss up between I like it more then BD and it's kinda the same:)
Should be done it this weekend:D

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Review Tina!

~Tina~ Thanks Sunny:)

Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts) Great Review Tina! I can't wait to read this one. :)

~Tina~ Thanks Karla!:)

~Tina~ It was definitely the experience my friend;) Happy reading!:)

Alexa Wonderful review! Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Abby. lol :)

~Tina~ Thankies!:)This book actually made me hate her more o.o

Do you remember that scene when Travis came back with Megan and Abby was there? That killed me. He was right ya know, so was Shep, she left him and he was just trying to move on.
Such unnecessary head games. Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Alexa I know! What the heck was her problem? I can't even remember her reasoning from BD... Ugh. >_<

message 17: by ~Tina~ (last edited Dec 10, 2012 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Oh you know...jealous and upset that he's not on the verge of suicide without her, I'm sure o.O
~enter eye roll here~

♥Rachel♥ Wonderful review Tina. Did (view spoiler)

message 19: by ~Tina~ (last edited Dec 11, 2012 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Thanks Rach!:) (view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ Ugh still douche behavior. :(

~Tina~ Oh yeah. He needed to be smacked. Hard. lol

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim great review - I can't wait to read this

Alyssa I'm so glad I am not the only one that is not fan of Abby al the time. Travis is amazing and that is the only reason I am going to read this book. Abby pissed me off to much to want to read BD again. :)

~Tina~ @ Kim- Enjoy!

Alyssa wrote: "I'm so glad I am not the only one that is not fan of Abby al the time. Travis is amazing and that is the only reason I am going to read this book. Abby pissed me off to much to want to read BD aga..."

Yeah, Abby wont ever be a fav, but my heart went out to Travis, even though he had some dumbass moments himself lol I think you'll like this better then BD:)

Alyssa ~Tina~ wrote: "@ Kim- Enjoy!

Yay! Release day can't come soon enough!

Aleera Tina, do the chapters line up together? Like could you read both at the same time? Reading Ch 1 with one book and then reading Ch 1 thru travis'eyes?

~Tina~ Mmmm, I think so. I read this back in Dec so I don't remember it all, but I do remember it corresponding with the first book. All the events in this book are the same as the first, just in Travis pov. There were a few moments skipped or skimmed, but that's about all the difference:)

Aleera Thanks Tina - you are the best :)

~Tina~ No problem babe;)