Jennifer's Reviews > MacRieve

MacRieve by Kresley Cole

Warning! This review does contain a few spoilers from earlier books in the Immortals After Dark series.

One of the things that impresses me about Kresley Cole is her ability to keep a series as long-running as Immortals After Dark fresh. MacRieve is the thirteenth installment and, while it is isn't my favorite, I thought it was an entertaining and spicy romance that helps move the overall series plot forward and sets things up for what is happening next in the IAD world.

For those who aren't aware, the Immortals After Dark series involves a complex world of supernatural creatures from werewolves to vampires to demons to Valkyries. These creatures form the Lore and strive to keep their world secret from the humans. Unfortunately, a group of humans with military backgrounds known as the Order, discovered the Lore's existence and decided to capture as many as they could in order to figure out how to eliminate them. This book, like the past few in the series, deals with the aftermath of the Order's capture and torture of the Loreans.

Uilleam MacRieve, the hero, is a Lykae (werewolf) who has been visible in the series from the beginning along with his identical twin, Munro. Will was captured by the Order and was one of the main subjects for their sadistic doctors. He also was tortured physically and emotionally as a teenager and continued to carry the scars from that experience almost a thousand years later. This makes him a bit gun-shy about being in a long-term relationship so, when he finds his fated Mate, readers know things are going to get tricky.

Chloe Todd is a professional soccer player with Olympic aspirations who is transitioning to a Lorean though she's not sure which species. Soon after discovering this fact, Chloe is kidnapped by a group of witches and put up for auction with the main draw being that she is the daughter of the leader of the Order. She is a fiery heroine whose experience on the soccer field has left her with an independent and aggressive character. While these aren't the easiest personality traits to connect with, I thought they served Chloe well with her interactions with MacRieve.

The central plot of MacRieve is the romance between Will and Chloe. After helping her escape the auction block, Will takes Chloe to one of his family's houses in the Highlands. This forces these two to spend most of their time interacting with one another and trying to maneuver their new mated existence. Things start out okay until Chloe's immortal nature is revealed which causes some major upheaval. This was where I thought the book started to lose its entertainment factor. While I understand that Will endured unbearable torture both recently and in his past, I thought his reaction to the truth about Chloe to be over-the-top and almost cruel. Thankfully, Kresley Cole made sure that he groveled appropriately, but those moments were hard to read at times.

There is a huge cast of characters in the Immortals After Dark series and we get to see a small snippet of it in this book. I particularly enjoyed Will's twin, Munro, who understood the importance of Chloe to Will's sanity and did everything he could to insure their happiness. I am really hoping that his story will be told next especially with the way the book ended. It was also interesting to see the MacRieve pack who I have always been entertained. And, of course, I have to mention the small cameo that our lovely crazy Valkyrie seer, Nix, makes. She is only in the book for a few pages, but it is one of the funniest exchanges in the entire thing.

Because of the fact that the main focus of this book was Chloe and Will's love story, there aren't too many advancements on the Ascension front. I am hopeful that the series will start to move away from the Order's story arc (though it can't go too far with the reveal at the end of this one). Wherever Kresley Cole decides to take this series, be assured that I will be there waiting with bated breath!

For more reviews, check out my blog: http://feministfairytalereviews.blogs...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read MacRieve.

July 10, 2012 – Shelved
August 16, 2013 – Shelved as: demons
January 30, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance
June 8, 2015 – Shelved as: unusual-occupations
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: npr-100-swoonworthy-romances

Lover of Romance great review. I just started this one so I hope I like it.

Jennifer Lover of Romance wrote: "great review. I just started this one so I hope I like it."

I hope you do too. It wasn't my favorite IAD book, but I still had a great time reading it.