FrankH's Reviews > A Town Like Alice

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

Jul 10, 2012

liked it

By the earlier inclusion of 'An Available Man' to my read list, I see I'm getting recommendations from Goodreads that fall into the category of 'chick lit'. Is 'chick lit' a synonym for romance? Or for novels with romantic themes written by women? That covers some broad territory.

A Town Like Alice is an old-fashioned romance, PG rated; I liked it. The story is told from the point of view of a mature, caring and wistful attorney and has a distinctly British orientation, even though its subject is surviving WWII in Asia and, later, taming the Australian outback. The pacing starts in a deliberate fashion and builds gradually, the sensual, fleshy elements subordinate to actions like standing up to the imperial Japanese commanders, cattle-rustling and bush flights. Both hero and heroine have mutual respect for each other; Jean, the young lady, shows her true worth by successfully starting a number of businesses and riding alone across the rough Australian terrain to obtain emergency medical relief for an injured country-man. The Australian men give her the hightest praise by saying things like: 'She's all right, that girl'.

Goodreads administrators: Please parse this text as fodder for the next search and recommendation sortie. No bodice rippers please.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Town Like Alice.