Jennie Mars's Reviews > All the Numbers

All the Numbers by Judy Merrill Larsen

Jul 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: meh, why-did-i-pick-this-up, paused, did-not-finish-will-not-finish
Read from July 10 to 16, 2012

Update: I'm a little over halfway in this book but I've completely lost interest. Like I stated below, I felt for the death of the child because he reminded me of my brother when he was that age. Now that we are far enough removed from the accident that characters are moving on and they're starting to pursue legal action against the 17-year-old jet-skier, the author has completely dropped anything that I can relate to or care about.

At some point I'll go back and finish this book. Eventually.

Previous Review
We ask quite a lot from books about death, not the least of which is asking them to make us care about the characters and care why they have died. It takes an especially heartless person to read about the death of an eleven-year-old child, especially when the character dies in a way that many children his age have died in 'real life,' but I find myself caring less about the book's eleven-year-old blond-haired blue-eyed martyr and replacing him with my own little brother who, incidentally, looked (and still looks) exactly like the description of this boy.

This book is more about James' mother and her grief, I realize, but already the book is off to a shaky start. I care about James because he reminds me of my baby brother, not because I care about the in-story family and his mother's emotions.

I'll keep an open mind, this will be a fairly quick read, but I'm iffy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Numbers.

07/11/2012 page 109