Asho's Reviews > Rain Play

192123
Jul 10, 2012

bookshelves: read-but-do-not-own, sebastian-s-books
Read in July, 2012

This was another book from our "rain" bundle from the library. We've had some good ones in this particular bundle, and this is one of them.
The words are nothing much, just a simple rhyming poem about playing in the rain and then heading safely home when the thunder begins. However, the collage-style illustrations give a texture to each page that makes me want to look just a little bit longer. I really like the racial diversity in the illustrations, too. I think one of the reasons this book is appealing to me is that it looks just like our neighborhood playground (the playground my husband often refers to as "the mini UN" because of its mix of races and cultures). So often when picture books feature people they feature only white characters, or only black characters, or only Asian characters, etc. I liked that when I looked at Steptoe's playground, everybody was there.
My baby enjoyed looking at the illustrations in this book, too. He's so young that he still doesn't always notice them, but he paid attention to this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rain Play.

11/02/2016 marked as: read