Celeste Dewolfe's Reviews > The Witness

The Witness by Nora Roberts

Jul 10, 2012

Read from July 10 to 11, 2012

I always enjoy Nora's books, although some more than others! This one does something that I truly enjoy about several of her works, which is to go into the past and plant the seed of the plot there, then follow it forward in time.
The only thing I DIDN'T like about this book was, sadly, the ending. Don't get me wrong--it was sweet and happy, just like all of her endings, but it wasn't satisfying because so many strings were left dangling, at least for me. It felt like she'd reached the end of her allotted pages and had to rush. Despite all of the trouble the main characters have had with rich asshole Lincoln Blake, a scene is never given for his arrest, or even just to get the satisfaction of watching him go away after the mess.
Second, and worse in my opinion, is that the culmination of the entire book, the taking down of the Volkov organization, is practically a one-liner at the end of the book, severely overshadowed by hurrying along the happy-ever-after. She never gets to talk to Ilya, Sergei's reaction is never seen... It's like after that huge buildup, it doesn't matter anymore at the end, and that's where I found the book lacking.
Still, the characters are incredibly enjoyable, especially Elizabeth/Abigail. Nora Roberts has a way, and I'll continue to read her books as long as she writes them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witness.

07/10/2012 page 650