Jeanne Blasberg's Reviews > Anxious People

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

With an equal measure of humor and philosophy, Backman's latest work examines the intricacies of family and home and the anxiety we feel over getting it right. The novel's structure engaged me from the very beginning with its omniscient voice moving two steps forward and then one step backward, telling what the novel was about in a way that was delightfully unreliable. And as the dots connected and puzzle pieces began to fit together, the experience of this novel was as much an intellectual exercise as a dive into the neuroses of its many delightful characters. I was struck by Backman's ability to develop all eight characters in a hostage situation so masterfully. The book goes beyond story telling and is a plea for compassion in this crazy world. It will have you laughing at our foibles and universal oddities, its observations are really spot on. I listened to the audio version of the book and the narrator did an incredible job of giving each speaking character a voice of their own. I highly recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anxious People.

Started Reading