Sara (sarabara081)'s Reviews > Ghostly Encounter

Ghostly Encounter by Suzannah Daniels

Jul 10, 2012

You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

3.5 stars!

I adore ghost stories. There is something about them that grabs my attention and won't let go. A girl and a ghost falling in love sounds heartbreaking and immediately like something I would want to find out more about because really, how can this end well? Ghostly Encounter was so much more than I could have ever expected!

Mia is the typical teenage girl dealing with a bad breakup and trying to move on and enjoy the summer with friends. I found her to be extremely likable and relatable. In the beginning she was miserable but I admired her determination to get through this hard time she was having. When she discovers the ghost of a young Civil War soldier in the park, I was hooked. Ben is the epitome of the sweet southern gentleman and I think the author did a wonderful job capturing the voice of a boy from his time. He is infatuated with Mia, but ever remains the charming and polite gentleman. They bond over their mutual loss of a parent at a young age and both thrive on their immediate connection to each other. I thoroughly enjoyed watching their love blossom through the obvious challenges that they were faced with.

But oh, this is so much more than just a ghost love story! The author managed to hit me with a curveball that I honestly didn't see coming! It is extremely hard to say much more about the plot because I cannot give away what little twists the author hits us with, but I thought the author incorporated these wonderfully into the storyline. It was very apparent that this novel was well researched and I appreciated that authenticity it provided. There were a few times, though, that I did feel a couple of little aspects were too convenient? And I did find some explanations a little confusing, but on a whole, this novel was well paced and easily kept my attention from beginning to end, where I was left wanting more!

"Perhaps in body I am not quite as real as you," he said, then looked alive, making him once again seem real, even though she knew that if she tried to touch him, she could not. "But my thoughts and emotions are as real as yours. My soul, Mia Randall, is as real as yours."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghostly Encounter.

July 10, 2012 – Shelved