Wendi's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Jul 10, 2012

My husband said, "YA books are written better and tell better stories than adult books." I think he's right. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am enjoying it's follow up right now.

It feels original with nods to some really great classic sci-fi (Battlestar Galactica's cylons, for instance) and other classics (The Road). Yes. Teenagers are doing some pretty adult things but it feels genuine when you're entire human population is just around 36,000 people. At least, ihmo, you wouldn't really get too much of a childhood.

The adults seem a little dumbed down but it's okay. This is a story about the teenagers. I'm okay with the story being told maybe from their perspective.

This was a good read. Really. It was like reading a movie. I was really entertained. I felt for the characters (am I the only one who just wants to smack Haru and shake Madison for marrying him? Not a spoiler, btw).

The science is fun and interesting. I like that there isn't all the teen angsty drama that tends to happen in some YA.

I think Dan Wells really plotted this out well, created an interesting universe for us to explore. I'm excited to see how he puts it altogether. Also, going to pick up the book that is supposed to be about the partial war too. I think that might be something interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

July 10, 2012 – Shelved