Julie 's Reviews > Wild Women and the Blues

Wild Women and the Blues by Denny S.  Bryce

bookshelves: e-book, kensington, historical-fiction, dual-time-line, contemporary-fiction, 2021, netgalley, jazz-age

Wild Women and the Blues by Denny S. Bryce is a 2021 Kensington publication.

I love the jazz age!

This debut novel, set in 1925 Chicago, is centered around Honoree Dalcour and the Dreamland Café- a high-end black and tan club- and Sawyer Hayes, circa 2015- a film student- haunted by the loss of his sister.

Sawyer finds some photographs belonging to his grandmother, which sends him on a quest to find Honoree Dalcour, a woman now in her 110th year of life.

As Sawyer slowly coaxes Honoree's memories to the surface, an amazing story unfolds revealing a 1920s saga full of crime drama, heartbreak, and romance. While Sawyer feels there is a connection there somewhere with his family, the truth is far more shocking than he bargained for.

I loved this book! The author has created complex characters, as well as an authentic atmosphere to create a well -rounded historical mystery and drama, which spotlights black filmmakers and stars of the era. Naturally, with the book set in the twenties, there was plenty of crime drama involving the mob and illegal substances… and murder.

As usual, for me, the historical segments are what truly made the story sparkle. The contemporary storyline is a means to an end, for the most part, but there are some compelling emotional pulls to Sawyer’s side of the story, for a more well-rounded tale. Several characters taking part in the story, were actual filmmakers, movie stars, and performers of the day, making the story even more interesting.

This is an exceptional view of the Chicago Jazz age, from the position of black people, juxtaposing the glamour of the decade against the powerful criminal elements that held a tight gripe on the era.

The story also highlights the power of friendships and love, while the mystery is tense and suspenseful!

Overall, I truly enjoyed this book! It is a compelling story set in one of my favorite historical time periods, but is written from a fresh perspective. There were several historical elements I was unfamiliar with, which sent me on a Googling frenzy on a quest to find out more about the real- life characters featured in this book. I’d also like to mention the fabulous cover on this book- I love twenties fashions!

An impressive debut novel for Bryce- hope to hear more from her in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Women and the Blues.

November 18, 2020 – Started Reading
March 20, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021
March 20, 2021 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 20, 2021 – Shelved as: jazz-age
March 20, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie I added to my wish list Julie! Great review!

Julie Melanie wrote: "I added to my wish list Julie! Great review!"

Thanks so much, Melanie!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! 💖

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ The cover is indeed fabulous! I'm not keen on dual timelines though, so I don't think this one will make it to one of my to-read lists, but an enjoyable review, Julie!

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Julie, and what a gorgeous cover! 💖

Julie Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ wrote: "The cover is indeed fabulous! I'm not keen on dual timelines though, so I don't think this one will make it to one of my to-read lists, but an enjoyable review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Carol!! Historical fiction authors usually employ the dual timeline these days, so I had to get used to it. I get why they do it, but I would be happier if they just stuck with the historical part of the story, as the contemporary parts are usually rather weak, IMO. 💖

Julie Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Julie, and what a gorgeous cover! 💖"

Thanks so much, Maureen!! It is a beautiful cover! 💖

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Yes that is the problem. I read a review on a NZ dual timeline, where the reviewer gave up & read the timelines one at a time & said the book became much more enjoyable for her.

I'll be glad when this style goes out of fashion!

message 8: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!💜

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina This sounds fabulous‼️ A fantastic review Julie ⭐️

Julie Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ wrote: "Yes that is the problem. I read a review on a NZ dual timeline, where the reviewer gave up & read the timelines one at a time & said the book became much more enjoyable for her.

I'll be glad when ..."

Yes, I can live without it, too! 💖

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!💜"

Thanks so much, dear Kaceey!! 💖

Julie Tina wrote: "This sounds fabulous‼️ A fantastic review Julie ⭐️"
Thank you very much, Tina!! 💖

message 13: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Fantastic review, Julie. Sounds like one I may like .

message 14: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Sounds as if this book has it all and I love a good Googling frenzy. Marvelous review!

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Terrific review Julie!

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat Very nice review, Julie! I could almost see this whole story as a movie.

Kat (Books are Comfort Food) Sounds, wonderful, Julie. I’m glad you found a good book to bring this era to life.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Nicely put.

Julie Kat (Books are Comfort Food!) wrote: "Sounds, wonderful, Julie. I’m glad you found a good book to bring this era to life."

Thank you very much, Kat!! 💖

Julie Paul wrote: "Nicely put."

Many thanks, Paul!! 😊

message 21: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Terrific review, Julie. I think i need to add this one to my hefty list!

message 22: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Excellent review, Julie.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa ~ Bantering Books (On Reviewing Hiatus) I love the jazz age, too. I'm glad you enjoyed "Wild Women," Julie. Outstanding review. :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Wonderful review Julie! Sounds great!!

message 25: by Brandice (new) - added it

Brandice Fantastic review Julie, I can’t wait to read this one! The story sounds great and the cover is beautiful bonus!

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria Sounds very interesting! If you enjoyed this you may enjoy Passing Fancies, the second of the Julia Kydd novels by Marlowe Benn.

Julie Jen wrote: "Terrific review, Julie. I think i need to add this one to my hefty list!"

Thanks so much, Jen!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 💖

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Excellent review, Julie."

Thanks so much, Antoinette!! 💖

Julie Melissa wrote: "I love the jazz age, too. I'm glad you enjoyed "Wild Women," Julie. Outstanding review. :)"

Thank you very much, Melissa!! 💖🎷

Julie Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! Sounds great!!"

Thanks so much, Lindsay!! 💖

Julie Brandice wrote: "Fantastic review Julie, I can’t wait to read this one! The story sounds great and the cover is beautiful bonus!"

Thank you very much, Brandice!! Hope you enjoy this one- and yes that cover is just amazing! 💖

Julie Maria wrote: "Sounds very interesting! If you enjoyed this you may enjoy Passing Fancies, the second of the Julia Kydd novels by Marlowe Benn."

Thanks so much, Maria!! I will be sure to check out the Julia Kydd book, too! 💖

Julie Angela M wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie. Sounds like one I may like ."

Thanks so much, Angela!! Yes, I think you might like it!! 💖

Julie Victoria wrote: "Sounds as if this book has it all and I love a good Googling frenzy. Marvelous review!"

Thanks so much, dear Victoria!! 💖

Julie Karen wrote: "Terrific review Julie!"

Thanks so much, Karen!! 💖

message 36: by JanB (new)

JanB I think this time period is fascinating too Julie. I love your enthusiasm for this book, and thoroughly enjoyed your great review! I love going down the Google rabbit hole after reading a book :)

Julie JanB wrote: "I think this time period is fascinating too Julie. I love your enthusiasm for this book, and thoroughly enjoyed your great review! I love going down the Google rabbit hole after reading a book :)"

Thanks so much, dear Jan!! Lots of rich history from the roaring twenties! This book has a fresh angle and some history in it I wasn't aware of! 💖

message 38: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi All the yesess to this time period!! Wonderful review!!

message 39: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi PS— and thanks to you I’m pretty high in the waitlist for this. Sounds like a great read!!

Julie Heidi wrote: "PS— and thanks to you I’m pretty high in the waitlist for this. Sounds like a great read!!"

Thanks so much, Heidi!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 💖

message 41: by Richard (new)

Richard A fine review Julie ......... love the time period and the musical theme - a book to look out for :)

Julie Richard wrote: "A fine review Julie ......... love the time period and the musical theme - a book to look out for :)"

Thank you very much, Richard!! 😊

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Adding this one! Fabulous review, Julie, and thank you for putting int on my radar!

message 44: by Yun (new)

Yun Awesome review, Julie! So happy to see that you loved this! And that is one gorgeous cover (I really like twenties fashion too)!

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Adding this one! Fabulous review, Julie, and thank you for putting int on my radar!"

Thanks so much, dear Jennifer!! Happy reading!! 💖

Julie Yun wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! So happy to see that you loved this! And that is one gorgeous cover (I really like twenties fashion too)!"

Thank you very much, Yun!! 🎷💖

message 47: by Libby (new)

Libby That is a beautiful book cover! Julie, your love of this era shines through in your review. Great review, Julie :-)

Julie Libby wrote: "That is a beautiful book cover! Julie, your love of this era shines through in your review. Great review, Julie :-)"

Thank you very much, dear Libby!! 💖

message 49: by PorshaJo (new) - added it

PorshaJo Awesome review Julie! One I'm very excited to read. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Julie PorshaJo wrote: "Awesome review Julie! One I'm very excited to read. Glad you enjoyed it so much."

Thanks so much, PorshaJo!! 💖