Kae Cheatham's Reviews > The Weapon

The Weapon by Heather Hopkins

Jul 10, 2012

bookshelves: mystery
Read from July 10 to 17, 2012

I was lucky enough to win a copy of The Weapon in a Goodreads Giveaway.
That was back in July, but I'm just now getting around to writing my review. When I sat down this morning to do so, the story was fresh in my mind: the action, the characters, the settings. Often I'll look at a previously read title, and struggle to remember what it was about. Not so with The Weapon.

This is Heather Hopkins' first Thriller, and it is full of action and intrigue. Hopkins' education includes a degree in business, and this shows in the setting of this face-paced novel. The protagonist, Veronica Stone, is a financial wiz and high-tech entrepreneur who has built a fantastic international business. Her own tech innovations make headlines worldwide. Although she's incredibly successful, a tech genius, and beautiful, to boot, she's burdened by the drive to always be on top, to attain more and more acclaim. This leads her into an unhealthy liaison with some international nasties.

By the time Veronica realizes she's made the wrong move, she in too deep, framed for an attempt to kill the U.S. president, and the target of her recent creation--an application of a Cold War weapon, a devastating way to spread a wasting disease throughout society and especially on top officials. The creators expect to use this to take over the governments and bring themselves to world power.

Veronica is chased through several countries, but her masterful abilities (did I mention she's a martial arts expert?) and wit help her survive.

The Weapon is persuasive. Hopkins is a very good writer, and the characters are richly drawn and believable, which adds to the tension of the story. I cared about Veronica and her plight, and her friends and family.

The ending hints at a sequel. I look forward to it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weapon.