Alex | | findingmontauk1's Reviews > Hide and Seeker

Hide and Seeker by Daka Hermon

bookshelves: library, lohf

I knew when I saw this cover and read the synopsis that I had to read this book! And I am pleased to say that this book does not disappoint in the slightest! It's full of coming-of-age, friendships, mystery/suspense, nightmares, and more. This book is a cautionary tale for abiding by the rules of any game played. Breaking the rules can have serious consequences. And in this case, the game they are playing is Hide and Seek. I can't even count how many hours and hours I spent playing this game with my friends and family as a child... but now I will never look at it the same again!

The book starts off about a year after Justin's mom has died and close friend, Zee, reappears after going missing for about the same time. Something is different about Zee and we will spend the rest of the book figuring out where he went, what happened to him, and how/why he came back. Every kid's nightmare will be explored in this story, and many of them were ones I also had growing up. It was fun, but not the most pleasant experience, reliving some of these childhood traumas. What seems silly to be afraid of now still evokes quite a feeling of discomfort and creepiness when looking back. But now the kids start disappearing from each other and the world as we know it, too. Who is Hyde? Who or what is the Seeker? How long have these connected childhood disappearances been happening? And as the kids band together in the Nowhere world of the Seeker, they must truly fight as one. They must communicate and explore each other's nightmares and fears if they have any chance for survival. Not since The Loser's Club in Stephen King's IT have I been rooting for a group of kids so much!

While this is middle grade horror, I still loved it as an adult. If I read this when I was growing up, I think it would have seriously scared me due to the situations the kids are put into as well as the monster. All the kids personalities and traits are fleshed out and explored. They have psychological traumas and terror as well as physical threats. This is Daka Hermon's debut and all I can say is that if she continues to write (and I hope she does!) and her books are even half as great as this one then sign me up every single time - she blew me away with this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hide and Seeker.

November 18, 2020 – Started Reading