Jen's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Jul 27, 2007

bookshelves: audio, environment_and_ecology, speculative_fiction, tweens_and_teens
Read from September 13 to 22, 2010

This novel is one of the most realistic post-apocalyptic/dystopian/whatever I've read. The cause of the problem is realistic: an asteroid hitting the moon. The effect is realistic: the changing of weather patterns. The result of the two: lack of food, supplies, and everyday technology such as electricity and running water. How is a community to survive? Through the diary entries of a 16-year-old girl, we find out that it is through sacrifice. Pfeffer does a fantastic job of demonstrating catastrophic change (I think everyone who teaches about the flu pandemic after WWI should share a chapter of this with their students) while maintaining teen perspective (relationships, sibling rivalry, parental disconnection).

Well done, and I'm happy to read the next. I'd recommend this to pretty much anyone, but especially fans of Jericho (no, really).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy This is one of my favorites and the teens love it too.
I haven't gotten to the others in the series and will be interested in how you like them.