SOS Aloha's Reviews > Haole Wood

Haole Wood by Dee DeTarsio

I ulu no ka lala i ke kumu. The reach of a tree's branches depends on its trunk. Translation - A family's unconditional love strengthens each one to succeed (from the Waikiki Community Center website).

Jaswinder Park thinks she is fulfilling her childhood dream as a weekend forecaster for a San Diego news station. But Fate has another plan, taking Jaswinder on an unexpected trip to Maui to bail out her Grandmother. Just as the sun set on Lahaina, Jaswinder bonds with her tutu (Hawaiian granny), investigates a murder, stumbles into a new career, and talks to a ketchup loving Guardian Angel. Oh, and she finds passion with a surfing dermatologist. Watching all of it is the Guardian Angel, adding several comic scenes as He teases Jaswinder about sex. Jaswinder expects him to be a genie, granting her three wishes. Instead, the Guardian Angel reminds Jaswinder that she can choose her own destiny. Jaswinder's "coming of age" will resonate with readers as she embraces her Hawaiian heritage.

DeTarsio delivers a wild ride in this small town romance interwoven in a cozy mystery. I commend Detarsio for her spot on references to surfing, tourism, and pidgin (local slang). Recommended read for those who are curious about Hawaiian culture, island life, and where fate can lead.

I received an electronic copy from this author for my Kupono (honest) review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haole Wood.

Finished Reading