Kim's Reviews > Power Born

Power Born by Aya Ling

Read 2 times. Last read November 14, 2020 to November 15, 2020.

Power Born
By Aya Ling
Book 1 in the Maid of Iron series
Rating: 4/5
Release date: November 18, 2020

As a fan of Aya Ling and her amazing stories and retellings, I was super excited to get an ARC of this new series. I always love all the character development that the author brings to her characters. Her world building is beautifully written and I can’t wait for what’s next.

Imagine being a twin and being magically gifted. However, the mage got it wrong. They gave the gift of irresistible beauty to her brother, Cristian, and instead gave her, Chiara, the gift of superhuman strength. Having to hide her true strength since she can remember, Chiara avoids big crowds for fear that someone will get hurt or find out her secret. Having been told that no man will want someone like her, she sticks to the kitchen in their family’s bakery and does her best to stay out of the limelight. As a devastatingly handsome man, her brother is the one that keeps their struggling bakery afloat, but Chiara is the one who just wants to be normal like everyone else. However, when her town becomes the target of bandits, Chiara has no choice but to disguise herself and defend her home. Can Chiara continue as she has been hiding in the shadows or can she embrace who she is and learn to control her strength?

Who doesn’t love a good origin story? Because this is the first book, I felt it moved slower than I would have liked but it did need to set the scene and background for what was about to happen. While I enjoyed this story, I felt that the story was on the lighter side, but that might be because it was the first book. I almost felt the author could have delved deeper into Chiara’s feelings and insecurities which would have been more impactful but I did like the growth that Chiara goes through by the end. This story is definitely worth reading and I cannot wait to read what comes next.

Highly recommend for those that enjoy fantasy adventures.

My thanks to the author for providing me with an ARC of the book. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own. No positive review was expected and no compensation received.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power Born.

November 14, 2020 – Started Reading
November 15, 2020 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2020 – Shelved
November 18, 2020 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
November 18, 2020 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
November 18, 2020 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)