Heather's Reviews > The Cost of Living

The Cost of Living by Rachel Ward

Imagine a warm snuggly hug in book form and you get The Cost of Living. A book that will have me looking at the Tesco checkout ladies in a different light, a book that was not only a good cosy crime but was also funny, sad and a little creepy in places. Yes, can you tell I enjoyed it a lot? I’d better tell you what it is about.

Supermarket checkout girl Bea loves her job, she loves talking to her customers, and she loves (most of) the people she works with. Recent start Ant does not share the same view, he hates the job and seems to make a mess of everything he does but something about him endears Bea, and she takes him under her wing.

The small town they live is unremarkable in every way until reports of someone stalking women start to come in and when someone Bea knows is brutally attacked, she takes is personally. Using her daily observations at work she starts to make a list of possible suspects and with the help of Ant and her friend Dot they do a little digging. Can they succeed where the police have failed?

I’m not going to tell you if they do! This is a unique read also in the fact these are proper working class characters, there aren’t any fancy cars, designer clothes, expensive bottles of wine and posh food. There are numerous mugs of tea, lots of chocolate and looking out for one another especially those nearest and dearest.

This is a gem of a book, it kept me guessing till the end and it has made me add the next two books in the series to my list of books to read.

Thanks to Net Galley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cost of Living.

Started Reading