Mel's Reviews > Between the Lines

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: 4-stars, owned, read-in-2015

View this review on my blog: thatgirlbookworm

I have to say, my rating for this one surprised me. It's no secret that Jodi Picoult is one of, if not my favorite author. I now own 21 of her books and my collection is only growing from here. But this one was not cutting it for me. 60% through the book this was still only a 2.5/5 star book for me. But it got so much better near the end and improved and I really enjoyed it to the point where it became a 4 star book.

This book had a GREAT concept. It follows a character named Oliver and a character named Delilah. Delilah is reading a fairy tale book when one day the character inside her book reaches out to her for help. What we don't know is that characters in books have actual lives whey the book is closed and Oliver has spent his entire existence wanting to be outside the book. The novel follows them and also there are chapters of the actual fairy tale in the book (which were my favorite chapters)

I will say, as much as I loved the plot, I DO think that this concept could have been done better by someone else. Jodi Picoult is mainly an adult fiction writer. That's not to say she can't write young adult/middle grade books, I mean I know her daughter worked with her, but I just don't think this is the genre I would tell her to stick with. There were a lot of really cheesy and unbelievable moments that I just felt like the book could have done without. As well, I realize fairy tales ALWAYS have insta love and this book is meant to be read like a fairy tale, but the insta love was just not well done in my opinion in this one.

Oliver is a really great character. Actually Oliver's world inside the book with Frump and stuff were just the best parts. I loved all the characters. But Delilah was where the characters fell flat for me. She was really juvenile for a teenager. Just immature and young and extremely annoying. She gets mad at her mom because her mom is worried about her, but girl you're talking to a novel, of course she's going to worry. She also gets mad that other people can't hear Oliver but like again no one really expects a novel to talk to them so of course they can't hear him. She was just senseless for a character and I was never rooting for her.
Also the fact that she just dumps everyone in her life for a boy really disgusts me but that's just something that bothers me in general in life so I just gravitated towards anger when she did this.

Overall enjoyable. Best book ever? Definitely not. But cute, fun and easy to read. I can definitely see the appeal for little kids (and adults) who like fairy tales and they'd probably really enjoy this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Lines.

July 9, 2012 – Shelved
November 7, 2015 – Started Reading
November 9, 2015 –
page 50
14.2% "It's good so far. Not great but has potential."
November 14, 2015 –
page 105
29.83% "I don't think I'll know how I feel about this book until I'm done this book."
November 19, 2015 –
page 203
57.67% "Making progress. Fell behind but trying to catch up. Finished 3 books today and I want to get through a chuck of this."
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015