Gloria Kitchens's Reviews > Estranged

Estranged by Nakia R. Laushaul

Estranged by Nakia R. Laushaul (previously published as Locked In Purgatory)
I feel like fate brought me and this book together. I happened to see an ad for it on Instagram and I read the blurb and on a whim I decided to buy it. This is completely different from the type of book that I would’ve chosen for myself. But I ended up really loving it.

The book is about the Bennett family and centers around the perspectives of Luther Bennett the father, Samuel Bennett the son, and Lynne Bennett the daughter. Luther Bennett was at one point, a successful businessman but most of all a ladies man. Now, he finds himself in an assisted living facility waiting to die. Throughout the book, you learn a lot about the type of man Luther Bennett was and how that affects his family. The way that the family dynamic unfolds keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what the characters will do next.

My favorite thing about the book is how we learn so much about Samuel and Lynne’s mother through the three perspectives. The entire time you’re truly wondering what could this woman be thinking and what makes her want to keep caring for someone who hurt her so many times.

I’d really recommend this if you’re trying to get out of a reading slump. It was a quick and powerful read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Estranged.

November 16, 2020 – Started Reading